Visas & Insurance
You will need entry clearance (a visa) if you are a visa national. A visa national is a national or citizen of certain countries that require a visa to come to the United Kingdom.
The type of visa required is a CHILD VISITOR visa. You should not apply for a Tier 4 Student or Tier 4 (Child) Student Visa.
To come to the United Kingdom as a child visitor you must be able to show that the child:
- is genuinely seeking entry as a child visitor for a limited period not exceeding 6 months and their parent/guardian agrees to them travelling
- does not intend to seek private medical treatment during the visit (other than in an emergency)
- does not intend to take employment in the United Kingdom
- is under the age of 18
- can demonstrate that suitable arrangements have been made for travel to and from the United Kingdom and that reception and care in the United Kingdom have been arranged for the duration of the stay
- has a parent or guardian in the child’s home country or country of habitual residence who is responsible for his or her care.
To assist with the visa application, Summer Boarding Courses will provide a Visa Support Letter, once we have received the deposit payment (or upon receipt of full payment if booking is made after 20th May 2013). The Visa Support Letter will contain the following information:
- Full name and date of birth of the child
- Passport number, date of issue and date of expiry
- The start and finish dates of the course and the full address of the school at which the child will be staying
- Confirmation that the course is residential with all meals included, confirmation that all English lessons and activities are included and confirmation that Summer Boarding Courses Ltd is accredited by the British Council.
The Visa Support Letter will be sent to you by email once we have received the deposit payment. Summer Boarding Courses Ltd can arrange for the original letter to be sent to you by courier (at a charge of £60). Please check with your Embassy if you need to provide the original letter or if an emailed copy is sufficient. If you do require the courier service this can be selected on the booking form.
It is important to note that depending on the country, visa applications can take around 20 working days (or 3-4 weeks). If your child requires a visa you are advised to begin the visa application process as early as possible – most Embassies will accept visa applications up to 3 months prior to the proposed date of travel. Once the visa is obtained you will need to email us with a scanned copy of the child’s passport and the visa. If the child visitor visa application is refused, then provided we receive a valid visa refusal letter, a full refund will be issued, less a 15% administration fee. No refund will be given in the instance where one or more of these criteria is not met:
- The visa application must be made with sufficient time prior to the arrival date to allow for the length of application time as indicated by the UKBA.
- All necessary documentation must be provided as indicated by the UKBA.
- The parent/guardian must be able to demonstrate that all necessary steps were taken to obtain the correct visa.
For more information on the visa application process please consult the UKBA website as follows:
All students attending the Dean Close International Summer School must have comprehensive travel insurance. Summer Boarding Courses Ltd, in association with Gibbs Denley Insurance Services, provides all students comprehensive travel insurance included in the price of the course, unless:
- The parent or guardian contacts us directly to inform us that they do not wish to use the insurance provided by Summer Boarding Courses Ltd.
- The agent has declined to use the travel insurance offered by Summer Boarding Courses Ltd.